The Art of Camouflage
The Art of Camouflage
In September's Makeup Magic Monday, Tricia and Sally discuss the power of makeup to camouflage, conceal and correct. At Look Fabulous Forever we celebrate the beauty of ageing, but we also know that some of the blemishes, fading and patchiness that come with getting older can be very easily improved with a little well-placed makeup. Watch the full tutorial above or read on to discover Tricia and Sally's top tips for disguising redness, age spots, blueness, broken capillaries and dark circles...
Tricia's 3 Step Concealer Trick to Banish Blueness
"As I've aged I've started to notice a lot more blueness under my eyes and a little around my chin. This is very easy to camouflage with a little extra attention and some Cover to Cover Concealer"
- Take your shade of Cover to Cover Concealer and an 04 Concealer Brush (NOT your fingers as they aren't precise enough to get into your inner eyes)
- Place the concealer under your eyes in the innermost corner and pull it both down below your lash line and up towards your inner eyebrow
- You can also place it around your nostrils and chin
- Stipple all patches of concealer into the skin with the brush
Sally's 6 Step Camouflage Routine
Step 1: Smooth Like Silk Face Prime
"Face Prime is an essential form of camouflage for me. It does two things: it fills in pores and blurs fine lines, and it also mattifies the face to get it ready for the ultimate form of camouflage: foundation!"
- Use 2 pumps or 2 pea-sized amounts on the back of your hand and then spread it over your whole face
- Avoid the eye area, where you should be using a good Eye Prime
Step 2: Colour Balance Neutraliser
"A colour correcting product like our Colour Balance Neutraliser is a secret weapon when it comes to camouflage. It uses the contrasting colours of the colour wheel to counteract any problem areas such as broken capillaries, spots, redness, sun spots and dark patches."
First, select the right colour:
- I pop a little green around the base of my nose, and a little peach under my eyes
- It may still look a little orange / green once you have patted it into the skin. This is fine! You will apply foundation and concealer on top to cover this
- Ensure you don't drag the product over your face when blending. You should stipple it in using your warm fingers
Step 3: Foundation or Beauty Balm
"Your Foundation or Beauty Balm is the ultimate form of camouflage because it creates a whole new texture and tone for your skin. This is the stage where even the smallest blemishes are rectified."
- Use a Foundation brush to buff your Foundation or Beauty Balm into the skin
- Wherever you have applied a Colour Balance Neutraliser, it is important to stipple your BB / Foundation over the top and not to drag it.
- Apply your Concealer after your Foundation or Beauty Balm as directed in 'Tricia's 3 Steps' above
Step 4: Highlighter
"Your Highlighter is a form of camouflage because it uses the dimension of light to bring parts of your face forward and to conceal dark patches"
Step 5: Lip Prime
Step 6: Blusher & Bronzer
"You may be wondering how Blusher & Bronzer are 'camouflage', but I think they are fantastic tools in camouflaging one particular effect of ageing: fading. As we get older our skin loses colour as well as elasticity, and one of the easiest ways to give your face a little life back is to apply a little Blusher and Bronzer"
- Our Blusher is a cream-to-powder formula, so apply it gently with your fingers
- Start at the apple of your cheeks, just down from the middle of your eyes, and then bring it up towards your temples